Chislehurst Golf Club was officially opened on 21st July 1894.
The first captain was John Dun, who had been captain of Royal Liverpool at Hoylake in 1873. He insisted that he wear his Hoylake captain’s red coat with the dark green collar at Chislehurst and a replica of this coat has been worn by all subsequent Chislehurst club captains.
In 1906, a nineteen year-old Ernest Jones was employed as assistant to the Chislehurst professional, Jack Youlds. Jones soon broke Youlds’ course record of 62 by a shot. He went on to become club professional in 1910 and enjoyed significant success before he volunteered for war service.
Jones was badly wounded at the Battle of Vimy Ridge in 1916 and lost his right leg. Overcoming his injury with no impairment to his golfing ability convinced Jones that the correct movement of the club head, rather than of body parts, was the key to golf.
He left Chislehurst for the United States in 1924 and enjoyed a very successful career as a swing advisor to many champions. He never forgot Chislehurst and bequeathed four silver cups to be played for by junior boys and girls.
Jones’ one-time assistant, Sydney Mason, returned to Chislehurst in 1938 and inspired many golfers until his retirement in 1974.
The above excellent teaching produced many champions, including three Walker Cup players (the two Hartley brothers and, more recently, Michael Attenborough). Attenborough went on to become Captain of the Royal and Ancient in 1989.
Ladies’ golf at Chislehurst was active from the outset although originally on a separate, shorter, nine-hole course. Indeed, the ladies were initially keener on interclub matches than the men!
Our Ladies continue to have a very enthusiastic section, participating in many Kent competitions.